Upgrading your computer to the new one is exciting because you'll get new technology, new features, and of course your computer will run faster. But, for some people, transferring data from one computer to another seems like a complicated process. If you are a Mac user, you can easily transfer all the information you want from one Mac to another with the Migration Assistant application. It is a native application that comes with your Mac. Let's see how to transfer data from Mac to Mac with Migration Assistant.
See also: How to set up a new Mac for the first time
How to transfer data from Mac to Mac: preparation steps
1. Before you start transferring data, make sure you have updated the Software on both Macs. Make sure your old and new Macs are running macOS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later. You can also check and update all the third party apps you have.
2. The transfer process may take a few hours, so it will be best to connect both computers to AC power.
3. Click on the menu Apple () in the upper left corner of your old computer, select System Preferences and select Share. Check in the Computer Name field if your Mac has a name. If the field is empty, enter the name.
4. Connect your old Mac to the new Mac using the Thunderbolt cable , USB-C or FireWire ) Depends on your Mac model.
Steps How to transfer data from Mac to Mac
Step 1: On the new Mac
- Start Migration Assistant by opening the Finder panel, click Applications. Here, you can type "Migration Assistant" in the search field, then the application will appear in no time.
- Once the Migration Wizard opens, click Continue.
- Enter the administrator password if necessary.
- In the next panel, the application will ask you "How do you want to transfer your information?". Choose "From Mac, Time Machine Backup or Startup Disk".
- Click on Continue.
Step 2: On the old Mac
- Open Migration Wizard and then click Continue.
- This time, you should check "To another Mac" as the answer to "How do you want to transfer your information?
- Click on Continue.
Step 3: Go back to the new Mac
- Your new Mac will be looking for fonts. Choose your old computer name and click Continue to confirm.
- The security code may appear on the screen.
Step 4: on your old Mac again
- Check if the security code on your old computer is the same code you have seen on your new Mac.
- If you are sure, confirm it by clicking the Continue button.
Step 5: On the new Mac
- Select the files on the old Mac you want to transfer.
- The more information you want to transfer, the more time it will take to finish the process. It can take hours, so we recommend doing this process on the weekend or when you don't have as much work on your Mac.