- Invalid drive errors usually show up when trying to install software. This could happen because the unit is no longer available or a system configuration is incorrectly configured.
- Error 1327 can be fixed by reconnecting the missing drive if possible. If not, check one of the solutions presented and follow the instructions.
- If you want to solve any problem with the installer, see the Windows Installer errors Hub for articles that solve those problems.
- Error correction is our specialty. We scoured the web to find even the strangest bug reports and fix them in the Windows 10 bugs section.
Steps to fix error 1327 Invalid drive
- Delete drive letter with command prompt
- Reinstall the program
- Disconnect the network drive
- Re-associate the drive letter with a temporary location
- Create a new user account
If Error 1327 appears when you try to install a certain program or software, and it tells you that you have an invalid Drive: P: / (or maybe some other letter), you have come to the right place. In this article, you will find some solutions for this error, and you will be able to install your programs normally.
This error code can take different forms and affects various programs. Therefore, users may encounter one of the following variations of error 1327:
- Error 1327 invalid drive H:
- Error 1327 invalid U drive:
- Error 1327 invalid drive E:
These tools seem to be affected by error 1327 more often than others:
- Epic games
Why does error 1327 Invalid drive occur in the first place?
This problem can occur if you assign the system folder that has the Reconnect at logon check box checked, or if you accidentally changed the drive letter of some of your CD or DVD drives. This could prevent some programs from installing, such as Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Office. So this is what you need to do to solve this.
How do I fix error 1327 on an invalid drive? Windows 10?
Solution 1: Delete drive letter with command prompt
The command you will run will allow you to connect and disconnect the drive letter to a virtual location. Disconnecting a letter should allow your program to install without generating an error message. So this is what you should do:
- Go to Search, type cmd and open Command Prompt
- At the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter:
- Close the command prompt and try to install your program
Solution 2: Reinstall the program
If this error occurs when you try to install software that was previously removed, some of the leftovers from the previous program could create a conflict.
What you should do is make sure to completely clean the system of old or unused software. There are specialized tools to scan each part and detect and eliminate leftovers.
We recommend IOBit Uninstaller as a safe solution for this.
Safe solution to complete remove unwanted programs causing errors
Solution 3: Disconnect the network drive
This solution will only work if a network drive appears on this PC; otherwise stick with the above solution. Follow these steps to disconnect the network drive to remove error 1327:
- Go to Search, type file explorer and open File Explorer
- Go to this PC
- Press Ctrl + F1 to open the ribbon with tools
- In Map network drive, go to Disconnect network drive
- Try to install your program again
Solution 4: Re-associate the drive letter with a temporary location
This method allows you to link a drive letter to a virtual drive location. In this way, the installer will locate the respective temporary path and use it to install the problematic software.
Note: If the temporary route does not exist, you must create it.
- Start command prompt as administrator
- Enter subst (Driver Letter): C: temp> hit Enter
Close the command prompt> reinstall the software.
- Launch the command prompt again and enter the command: subst / D (Driver Letter): to remove the association of the software with the temporary path> press Enter.
Solution 5: Create a new user account
You can also try logging in to another user account and see if the error persists. If you do not have a secondary user account on your machine, you must create a new account.
Did any of these solutions work for you? Tell us more about your experience with this problem in the comments. We would like to learn more about it and perhaps offer you some additional solutions if the methods mentioned above were not enough.
Frequently Asked Questions – Learn more about error 1327 Invalid drive error
- How do I repair an invalid drive?
An invalid drive could have multiple causes: The network drive is either unavailable or has been removed. The hard disk is damaged and needs to be replaced. Or the software is not configured as it should. Each cause has a different solution.
- How do I change a drive letter?
To change a drive letter, open Disk Management with administrator permission. Then right click on the drive and choose from the options Change drive letter and paths. Be careful when making this change as other programs may stop working.
- How do I access disk management?
The fastest way is to press Windows+ R and type diskmgmt.msc in the Run box and press Enter or click OK. This will open the Disk Management window.
Editor Note: This post was originally published in June 2015 and has since been renewed and updated in May 2020 to provide freshness, precision and comprehensiveness.