Discord is a popular messaging application among gamers. Using servers and group chats, friends can quickly communicate with each other through group chats or direct messages. If you want to chat with multiple users at the same time or keep your conversations private with just another friend, you can use the Discord app.
Direct messaging allows you to have a conversation with someone who is not a member of the same servers you are on. For the times when a private conversation is necessary or preferred, Discord offers both Direct messages (DM) and Chat group.
What is a Discord DM and how do I configure it on my Discord Server?
Discord direct messages allow you to have individual communication with another user in the Discord community. These are private conversations that you can start from the app.
As a subset of Discord’s Friends listYou can send direct messages and start group chats regardless of the server you are currently involved with. I created a comprehensive tour that provides exactly what you will need to make your Discord messaging game perfect.
Send a direct message in discord
Below are detailed instructions to guide you to start a direct message on Discord. Whether you're using a PC or Mac, Android, or an iOS device (iPhone and iPad), you'll find the instructions below.
Direct messages via PC and Mac
The process of sending DM ‘s on a PC and a Mac is more or less the same, so if you have a PC or a Mac, follow these instructions:
- Log into Discord. It is important to mention that some users may have their DM settings set to “Friends only”, which means that you will not be able to send them messages unless they are in your friends list.
- To send DM to a friend, click the Discord icon in the upper right corner of the screen and choose friends from the menu list.
- Switch to the "All" tab if you want to see all the available friends on your list or keep it on the "Online" tab if you want to send a message to a friend currently online.
- Scroll through your friends until you find the one you want to send DM to, and then click the user you want to chat with. This will open a Direct message In the midst of you. You can now enter your message in the text box at the bottom of the window by pressing the GET IN key to send the message.
- To DM a member of a server of which you are a member, log into the Discord server by clicking on it from the server menu on the far left.
- While on the server, scroll through the list of member names from the menu to the far right until you find who you are looking for.
- Right-click the member's name and from the dialog menu choose Message.
- The Direct Message window will open and you can enter your message in the text box at the bottom. press the GET IN key to send the message.
Now you know how to DM on a PC or Mac, but what about mobile devices? Next, I will show you how to send direct messages for Android devices and for your iOS devices (iPhone and iPad).
Direct messages through Android devices
- Sign in to Discord on your Android device.
- Touchez the "ALL" tab in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Choose the contact from the friends list to open their profile.
- Touchez on the Chat message button (white chat bubble on a blue background) to open a DM window with the selected individual.
- Open your keyboard by tapping the message box towards the bottom of the screen and enter the message you want to send.
- Touch Send to view your delivered message. It will now be visible in the DM window for both you and the recipient.
Direct messages through iOS devices (iPhone or iPad)
- Log into Discord on your iPhone or iPad
- Touchez on the friends logo in the upper left corner of the screen. You may need to Touchez the triple white lines to get to that window, also located in the upper left corner.
- If you know the friend's username, you can start typing it in the text box. The box will probably have Find or start a conversation Already on that. Or you can always scroll through your friends list until you reach the one you want to send DM to.
- When you find the recipient, touch their name tag to open a conversation window.
- Write your message in the chat box at the bottom of the screen.
- When you're ready, Touchez Send and your message will be visible in the conversation window for both you and the recipient.
Create a group chat of discord
When it comes to creating a group chat, you can only invite those who are on your Friends list. Anyone who wants to add to the conversation must be in their Buddy List or must add it.
Once everyone you want to add to the group chat has become friends, a new button will be available labeled New DM group.
If you click on the new button in the upper right corner of the window, another window will appear with all your friends (only those in the list).
You can choose to scroll through the list to locate the friends you want to add to a group chat, or type their name in the search box. You can add 9 friends to a group chat that, counting on you, makes a total of 10 Discord users.
Another way to open a group chat is to add additional friends to a conversation that is already in progress. Open a DM in progress between you and a friend and in the upper right of the window click on the Add friends to DM button.
This keeps the DM available between you and the original recipient separately, but opens a new conversation between the two of you and additional friends.
Expel members from a group chat
Any member in group chat can add additional members (up to the maximum). However, only the person who started Group Chat can kick anyone out. To remove a member from Group Chat:
- On the right side of the window, find the list of Group Chat members.
- Find the member you want to be kicked out and right-click on the name.
- From the options provided, choose Remove from group.
Group chat additions
Right-clicking on the Group Chat title will open a list of options related to Group Chat. You can provide Instant invitations, Dumb players, Leave groupor Change or Remove The GC icon.
You also have the option to change the name of the GC by clicking on it at the top of the window. A group chat is no different than a text channel on the server when it comes to what it can do. Add notes, use @mentions, and easily check other users' profiles.
How to send DM to someone who is not a friend
Assuming you are on a server with someone who is not your friend and would like to send them a direct message, it is possible if you follow these steps:
- From inside the server, Touchez the icon that looks like two people together. Scroll down and Touchez the user you want to chat with.
- Touchez the option to 'Message.'
- Then you can write and send your message as you normally would.
As mentioned above, if you don't have this option, it's likely due to the user's privacy settings. In that case, you can send them a friend request to start sending messages.