If you decide to cut the cable and switch to a streaming service, you may lose some of your favorite local channels.
If you have Roku, you can subscribe to many channels, but there is a good chance that your favorite local channels are not on the list.
However, there are several methods to get some of your favorite local channels on Roku. You can use functions like 'private channel' or access it YouTube. Read this article to know how to access local channels on Roku.
Get your local channels through private channels
Maybe your favorite local channel is already on Roku, but it's a private channel. "If so, you must type the channel code to open it. Do the following:
- Visit the website of your favorite local channel.
- Check the website for information on your Roku channel.
- If there is, and this is a private channel, get the code from the website.
- Sign in to your Roku account.
- Open it Manage Accounts. "
- Enter "Add Channels with Code".
- Enter the address of the channel code.
- Select "Add Channels".
Free official local TV channels in Roku store
If you want to find local channels on Roku, you should also visit the official channel store. In the channel store, you can find local third-party channels and those connected to the main network.
Currently, there are over a hundred local news channels that you can watch for free. You can find this free channel in the 'News and weather' section. Some of these local news channels include WSB-TV, FOX13 Memphis, WBRC FOX 6 News, Boston 25, KGTV10 San Diego.
Free third-party news channels
There is a free Roku app that offers prerecorded news. Some of these press releases may focus on local events.
- NewsOn: This is a collaboration between some of the largest television groups in the US. USA: General Media, Television Hearst, Raycom Media, ABC and Cox Media Group. It offers live and prerecorded news broadcasts from more than 175 stations.
- Haystack TV – This is a brilliant option for watching national and local news. Haystack TV collaborates with 150 local news stations such as Pittsburgh KDKA, Los Angeles KCAL, NBC Nebraska, etc.
- Pluto TV: You can watch free live streams on Pluto TV. The news is primarily based on national events, but some are also locally focused.
Transmission of local channels with subscription services
There are many streaming options offered by dozens of local television stations that you can stream live and on demand. However, you must pay certain subscription fees for them. On the other hand, it will not be limited to Roku, because you can also use other streaming devices.
This subscription service broadcasts local channels (and you can get them on Roku):
- YouTube TV: streaming local content from NBC, FOX, CBS and ABC.
- CBS All Access – broadcast local CBS stations. You can watch live TV and programming on demand, as well as the latest news and all original All Access shows.
- Sling TV, Hulu + Live TV, DirecTV, PlayStation Vue stream local content from FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS.
Have you cut the cable?
If you are still using a cable subscription, you can stream content on demand from various local and national TV stations from your provider.
You just need to log in to the channel with your cable account. If you can, contact your cable provider for more details. Some cable providers and channels can also be accessed without cable account credentials.
You can use OTA antennas
If you have a Roku TV (or a TV with a default Roku system), you can install an HDTV antenna and stream TV OTA with it. This allows you to capture channels within a 100 mile radius, which means most of the local television stations.
Follow the on-screen instructions to adjust the antenna and enjoy the content. Antennas of modern times are relatively cheap and provide sharp images. When transmitted through Roku, the quality improves.
Streaming local channels on Roku through YouTube
There are many local networks that begin to transmit their content. YouTube. Some even broadcast non-stop, such as independent local television stations using the services of YouTube. If your local TV doesn't have 24/7 streaming, you can still watch TV show quotes, news broadcasts, or even episodes of your favorite TV shows through YouTube.
Before doing so you must get an official one YouTube application for your Roku, and then log in to your Google account.
Think globally, look locally
Even the smallest cities have their own television stations, and in most developed countries they broadcast on digital networks. If you have a streaming device like Roku, there is a good chance that you can stream.
There are several ways to get local channels on your Roku. Thanks to its ability to enhance images, you can view high-quality local content.
Do you know of other ways to get local channels on Roku? What is your favorite method? Share your opinion in the comments below.