The easiest way to use your favorite virtual private network (VPN) in your new operating system Windows 10 is simply downloading the app from your VPN from the Windows and install it, just like you did in your previous version of the operating system. Using a VPN app is also the best way to take advantage of its added features, which can range from ad blocking to automatic selection of the fastest connections. But if you are curious about technology, another option is to try the integrated VPN client of Windows 10.
It may sound complicated, but the process takes only 15-20 minutes and can be divided into two main components: (1) creating a VPN profile and (2) connecting to the VPN. Here we present the step by step.
Read more: Windows 7 comes to an end. How to upgrade for free to Windows 10
What you will need
A VPN service: even when you are using Windows 10 To manage your connection to a VPN, you still have to choose which VPN service you want to connect to. The service you choose will determine who manages the servers you are about to connect to.
Check out our updated directory of the best VPNs to give you a quick idea of which provider may be best for you. But, no matter which service you choose, pay attention to any red flags that may indicate a low level of privacy.
Choose a protocol: During the setup process, you will be asked to choose a protocol from a list. In layman’s terms, the protocol you choose will determine the strength of your encryption. There are several types of protocols that VPNs can use, and the one you choose will certainly use one of them. The four most common are: PPTP, L2TP / IPSec, SSTP and OpenVPN. During setup, you must tell Windows what type of protocol your VPN uses by selecting it from a list. Your VPN provider can inform you about the protocol it uses.
Read more: How to set up a VPN on your Xbox
Create a VPN profile and connect to it
one. At your desk Windows 10, right click on the button Start (Start) and select Settings (Setting) on the menu.
2. In the window that appears next, click Network & Internet (Network and Internet) and then select VPN from the list of connection options on the right side of the screen.
3. Click on Add a VPN connection (Add a VPN connection).
Four. This will take you to a configuration screen. In VPN provider (VPN provider), click on the dropdown menu and select the option Windows (built-in) (Windows (integrated)).
5. In the countryside Connection name (Connection name), type in the name you would like to give this particular connection. Make sure it’s a name that you can easily recognize as a VPN connection. For example, if you are using ExpressVPN and want this connection to be the one you use to connect to a New York server, you can name the connection “ExpressVPN, New York server”.
6. In the countryside Server name or address (Server name or address), type the address of the server you are connecting to. Your VPN service can provide you with this information. It is usually like the URL of a website, with an alphanumeric string of five or six characters followed by the name of the VPN service you are using.
7. In the drop-down menu VPN type (VPN type), they will ask you to choose a protocol, like the ones mentioned above. Select the one that your VPN service uses.
8. In the drop-down menu Type of sign-in info (Login information type), choose the way you are going to log in to your new VPN connection. Each VPN provider has its own preferred method, so we recommend checking with your provider to be sure. However, for most commercially available private VPNs, it is normal to select Username and password (Username and password).
This means that every time you choose this new VPN connection on your computer with Windows 10, you will need to log in with the same username and password that you normally use to log in to your VPN service on any other device.
9. Click the button Save (save). With this, you have created your VPN profile, and all you have to do is connect to it.
10. Return to the configuration page Network & Internet (Network and Internet) and select VPN from the options on the right side of the screen, as you did previously. Your newly created VPN connection will appear in the list (in our example, “ExpressVPN, New York server”). Select it and click Connect (Connect).
And that’s it. As we said, you probably don’t have some of the additional features that you would have when using your VPN provider’s downloadable application, but on the other hand, now you can better control your connection and you don’t have to deal with potentially resource-consuming software constantly running in the background.
Microsoft Surface Pro X tablet arrives with stylus and Arm chip [fotos]
To see photos