In today's review, I will talk about a device that can be useful to many motorists. Phisung E98 is a fairly versatile device that combines the functions of a video recorder, a rear view camera, as well as a GPS navigator of an FM transmitter and more.
- CPU: MTK6735
- Operating System: Android 5.1
- RAM: 1GB
- Built-in memory: 16GB
- Support: 4G LTE, WiFi, FM Transmitter, Bluetooth
- Display: 10 "touch
Packaging and delivery
The devices are delivered in a solid cardboard box, wrapped on top in a dust jacket, which is purely aesthetic in nature. It contains the name of the manufacturer, information about what is inside the box, without specifics and fairly detailed information about the manufacturer.
Under the dust jacket there is a box on which the main characteristics of the device located inside are also briefly displayed, as well as a sticker with the name of the manufacturer and model.
Inside the box, in the foam seal, is a Phisung E98 device.
A little lower, inside the small cardboard box is the scope of delivery.
- Phisung E98;
- Rear View Camera;
- Cable for connecting a camera 6 meters long;
- GPS antenna
- Cable for connecting to the car network;
The delivery set is quite good, if you wish, you can immediately order a flash card for the device.
The design of the device is vaguely reminiscent of a rearview mirror. On the front panel is a fairly large 10 ”display.
Below is a button on / off the device.
On the back side there is a rotary camera of the DVR, ventilation holes, network cable, as well as a connector for connecting an external GPS antenna, microSD and SIM card slots, a 3.5 mm jack for connecting a rear view camera and a mini-USB connector.
The left, right and upper ends are devoid of any controls.
On the lower surface there is a removable platform on which there is a double-sided 3M tape for mounting the device on the dashboard of the car.
The Reset button is also located here.
There are also no controls on the top surface.
The device looks very attractive.
Complete wires, antenna and rear view camera are made very high quality.
With the installation of special difficulties does not arise. The only manufacturer strongly recommends connecting the device to the fuse box of the car. To do this, you must first find the description of the fuse box.
- The yellow wire connects to a permanent plus;
- The red wire connects to ACC +;
- The black wire connects to the grounded part of the car body.
In order for the rear-view camera to turn on automatically when reverse gear is engaged, it must be connected to the power of the reversing light using a special wire.
By and large, there are no difficulties with connecting, more difficulties arise with masking the wires in the passenger compartment.
A pre-installed device in the cabin looks like this
From the side of the street, the device is certainly noticeable, but the look at it does not cling too tightly.
I want to pay attention immediately that car owners who have a dashboard with smooth transitions may encounter a problem associated with finding a place to securely fix the device. In my case, a reliable fixation is possible only opposite the driver or front passenger. For this reason, I do not plan to operate this device in this car, and, accordingly, did not stick it.
In work and hardware component
Car assistant Phisung E98 4G has a very mediocre, by today's standards, technical specifications. The device’s operation is based on the MTK6735 processor built on a 64-bit ARM architecture, containing 4 Cortex-A53 cores and a Mali-T720 16-core graphics accelerator, an integrated 4G (LTE) modem (Category 4) supports download speeds of up to 150 Mb / s and speed downloads up to 50 Mb / s, of course, in theory, none of the providers currently provides such a data transfer rate.
And, if the processor, given the specifics of the device, there’s no reason to complain, the amount of RAM LPDDR3 (Single Channel) with a clock frequency of 667 MHz upsets, to say the least, especially considering the fact that the chipset is capable of working with up to 4 GB of RAM . The internal memory eMMC 5.1 is 16 GB.
This configuration provides support for 1080p @ 30 fps video playback with H.265 and H.264 codecs, as well as 1080p @ 30fps video recording with H.264 codec.
The system is based on the Android 5.1 operating system. The fact that a full-featured mobile operating system is preinstalled on the device already implies the extensive functionality of the device, at least due to mobile applications, and it is here that you recall a catastrophic lack of RAM (the amount of internal memory can be increased by installing a flash card).
In addition to the huge amount of software that can be installed from PlayMarket (we are talking about applications that warn about stationary speed cameras, speedometers, compasses, etc.), the device presents the HandsFree function, which has recently been very relevant, as many cameras record conversations over the phone, during a conversation the interlocutor hears you well, it will be more correct to say audibility, as with the activated speakerphone mode on the phone.
Moreover, the Phisung E98 has a built-in transmitter, and in conjunction with the 4G module on the car’s standard speakers, you can listen to Internet radio stations.
Activation of the FM transmitter is carried out by launching the corresponding application, followed by selecting the frequency channel (displayed on the device’s display), followed by pressing the “Open” button, and tuning the car radio to the appropriate frequency.
Since we are talking about 4G – the built-in WiFi module allows you to distribute Internet WiFi in the car, or use Internet access from a mobile device to the Phisung E98.
You can’t find fault with GPS at all. A cold start takes only a couple of seconds, and up to 14 satellites are displayed on the device’s display. An external antenna provides high-quality signal reception.
Navigation through the launcher menu is thought out in detail, the device is convenient to control, almost all the basic actions can be performed in 1-2 clicks, it should be understood that the company's merits in this are not particularly, this is a standard launcher for most devices.
The settings menu is also accessed by clicking on the corresponding icon. The menu itself is standard, and includes the following items:
– Volume: Volume control
– Brightness: Brightness adjustment
– Online previewing enabled: Preview video and listen to sound through smartphone. Yes No (this function is available only when connected to 4G networks)
– Auto Scan BT keyboard: Automatically searches for a Bluetooth keyboard or joystick. Well no
– 4G Mobile Network Status: Using mobile Internet. Well no
– SoftAP: Distribution of mobile Internet via WiFi. Well no
– WLAN: Connect to a WiFi access point
– DVR Setting: DVR settings.
The next tab is advanced settings.
– Auto Sleep: Set the time the device automatically goes into sleep mode when there is no movement.
– Enable Wake UP by Collision: if this function is enabled, when the shock sensor is triggered, the device will automatically record the video sequence and send an alarm and photos to your smartphone.
– Allow Video Lock: Allow video files to be locked from being dubbed by the shock sensor. 10 seconds before and after the strike will be automatically protected from overwriting. Protected files will be located in the “Lock” folder on MicroSD.
– Collision Detection Sensitivity: Adjusts the sensitivity of the shock sensor. Low / Normal / High (the road surface is very strong).
– Factory data reset: Reset the system to factory settings.
– More: Standard Android settings, including language, input methods, WiFi, Bluetooth, SIM card management and much more.
– System updates: The ability to update the system by accessing the Internet or from a microSD memory card.
– Version: The current firmware version of the device.
Information on the status of MicroSD is displayed on the “Files” tab, it is possible to format it, the volume of locked files and captured video is shown, and there is also access to the “File Manager”.
The last tab is “DVR Helper”, here the user can get information about devices related to the Phisung E98.
The built-in DVR is activated automatically when you turn on the device. The user is given the opportunity to enable / disable the recording of sounds, change the quality of the video, it is possible to simultaneously record information from the front and rear cameras.
The recorder settings menu is quite simple:
– Auto-Save Time – sets the duration of the footage in the file.
– Auto Exit Preview – sets the time to automatically exit the preview mode.
– Front Camera Quality – Selects the shooting quality of the front camera Hight (1080p) / Normal (720p)
– Mute Record – Turn on / off the sound recording in the video sequence.
– Show Float Button – Turn on / off the floating window.
– Display GPS WaterMark – Turn on / off the display of GPS data in the video sequence.
– Current Version — The software version number of the DVR.
Settings take effect after rebooting the device. Moreover, the DVR has built-in support for the ADAS system, this is a rather interesting feature that is actively used in modern cars, and thanks to such devices, owners of not the most modern and equipped cars can take advantage of it. For the correct operation of the system, at the first start, it is necessary to calibrate the device.
- Set the horizontal calibration line, it should coincide with the horizon line;
- Set the vertical calibration line, it should coincide with the line corresponding to the center of the hood.
- Click OK.
The next step is the automatic calibration function.
- The car must move in a straight, level road (it is not allowed to shift the car left / right and swing vertically);
- The vehicle speed should be higher than 20 km / h, the duration of the calibration process exceeds 1 minute.
This completes the calibration process. In case of successful completion of the operation on the mark in front of the vehicle, the approximate distance to it will be displayed. What functionality does the ADAS system provide:
- B-LDWS lane departure warning system – when the left or right wheel hits the dividing line, the lane will be painted red and an audible signal will sound.
- C-FCWS frontal collision warning system – when the distance to the object located along the vehicle’s line of movement to the level of the primary warning decreases, the obstacle mark turns red; when the distance to the secondary warning level decreases, the obstacle mark turns red and an audible signal sounds.
- D-FVMA warning system for driving in front of a standing car – when you start moving in front of a standing car after parking, it will be marked in red and an audible signal will sound
Separately, it should be said that the operation of the ADAS system is possible only with a stable GPS signal level.
Speaking about the quality of the recording, I immediately want to note that it is worse than that of top-end, specially designed, narrowly targeted devices, but at the same time it is quite good. On the video, you can quite normally see the numbers of cars traveling at a speed of 60 km / h (in the daytime), evening shooting is much worse, but let's not forget that video recording of events is not the only function of this device. To improve the quality of shooting, you can recommend replacing the standard application with a modified one.
As I said earlier, I do not plan to use the Phisung E98 on this car, in connection with this, for a better test result, I fixed the Phisung E98 on my regular mirror, using clamps, thereby ensuring a secure fit. You can familiarize yourself with the quality of video shooting by viewing the files below.
The shooting quality is quite tolerable for a universal device.
- Large, high-quality, informative 10 inch display;
- Support for 4G networks (LTE);
- Intuitive interface;
- Auto Recorder Function;
- Swivel front camera;
- Rear View Camera;
- ADAS Plus system;
- GPS with an external antenna;
- FM transmitter
- HandsFree mode;
- Built-in WiFi module;
- The presence of proprietary software;
- Build quality;
- Full-fledged Android operating system.
- Small amount of RAM;
- Not the best video quality;
What about the Phisung E98? This is a really useful gadget in the car, which is able to perform a lot of useful functions, while it has a quite acceptable quality of shooting. Perhaps one of the most important factors that can push away from buying this device (in addition to cost) is the need to mount the Phisung E98 on the dashboard of a car, and not all cars have a place to install, although users who consider this device for purchase are aware of about this feature, and as a result – they have sufficient free space for installation.