- Windows 10 has brought many improvements, including improved security through PIN access and facial recognition using a Windows Hello compatible device.
- The PIN is stored locally and is tied to a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip. Any changes to the chip will result in the PIN not being recognized. Fix this by resetting the PIN.
- An exciting new feature that deserves our attention. Review the Windows Hello section for more articles with guides and recommendations.
- If you want to solve some Windows problems look at the Windows 10 troubleshooting errors Hub for friendly step-by-step instructions on how to do that.
Windows 10 has brought many improvements, including improved security. One of those enhanced security features is an option to log in with a PIN code, but some users report that this option is not available to them at Windows 10)
What can I do if I can't log in with PIN? Windows 10?
Signing in with PIN can be quite useful, but sometimes you can run into problems with it. Regarding PIN related issues, users reported the following issues:
- Windows 10 add PIN does not work, nothing happens – Many users reported that they cannot add PINs to their Windows 10. This can be a big problem, but you can fix it by creating a new user account.
- Windows 10 won't let me add a PIN – This is another relatively common problem, but you should be able to fix it by switching to Microsoft or local account.
- Windows 10 login options not shown – Sometimes PIN login will not appear at all, but you can fix it by pressing the Tongue key on your keyboard.
- PIN login Windows 10 in gray – If the PIN login is grayed out on your PC, you should be able to fix the problem using one of our solutions.
The PIN code is always useful to log in because it is faster to enter than a normal password and easier to remember, but it seems that some Windows 10 users do not have this option available.
Before trying to fix it, make sure your Windows 10 is updated. Microsoft is aware of this problem and could be resolved with a Windows 10 update, so before you start make sure your Windows 10 is updated with the latest patches.
Solution 1 – Delete the NGC folder and add a new PIN code
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by deleting the contents of the NGC directory and recreating your PIN. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- To go C: WindowsServiceProfilesLocalServiceAppDataLocalMicrosoftNGC.
- In NGC folder delete all files. To do so, you must be registered as an Administrator.
Learn everything there is to know about the administrator account and how you can enable / disable it right here!
After deleting all the files in the NGC directory, you must re-create your PIN by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- When the Settings app opens, navigate to Accounts section.
- From the menu on the left, select Login Options.
- Click on the Add button in the PIN section.
- Enter the desired PIN twice. Once you're done click OK to save changes
After doing that, the problem with PIN login needs to be resolved.
If you're having trouble opening the Settings app, check out this article to resolve the issue.
Solution 2 – Use the option I forgot my PIN
If deleting the NGC folder did not solve the problem, you can use the "I forgot my PIN" option. Here's how to do it:
- To go Settings> Accounts.
- Then go to Login Options and choose I forgot my PIN.
- Follow the instructions and enter your Microsoft account password and you can set a new PIN code or use the old one.
Some users also suggest combining both solutions 1 and 2. To do so, follow the steps in Solution 2, but when prompted to set a new PIN code, click Cancel.
Then follow the steps in Solution 1, delete the NGC folder, and then add a new PIN code.
Did you know that Windows 10 will allow you to reset passwords on the lock screen? Find out more in this article.
Solution 3 – Change your account password
Several users reported that they solved the problem simply by changing their account password. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- To go Settings> Accounts> Login options.
- Then go to the Password section and select Change.
- Change your account password.
- Then go to the PIN section in Login Options and choose I forgot my PIN Or add a PIN number if you don't already have one.
Remember, after changing your account password, you will need to use the new password for all Microsoft services.
Solution 4 – Switch to local account and add a PIN code
And if none of the above helped, try switching to a local account and adding a PIN code. Here's how to do it:
- To go Settings> Accounts and locate your account.
- Click Sign in with a local account.
- Follow the instructions to set up a local account.
- Log out and log in to your local account.
- Now add a PIN code.
- After adding your PIN code, you must locate your account in the Accounts section in Settings.
- Choose Sign in with a Microsoft account.
You cannot log in Windows 10 with your Microsoft account? Don't worry, we have you covered.
Solution 5 – Delete and re-create your PIN
Another way to fix this problem is to delete your PIN and create a new one. This is quite simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Configuration app and navigate to Accounts section. From the menu on the left, select Login Options.
- In the right pane, locate the PIN section and click the Remove button.
- Click on the Remove once again to confirm that you want to delete your PIN.
- Now enter your account password and click OK.
After doing that, your PIN should be completely removed. Now you need to add your PIN again. To see how to add your PIN, be sure to check Solution 1 for detailed instructions
After deleting and recreating your PIN, the problem should be completely resolved. Many users reported that this solution fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 6 – Press Tab on the login screen
This is just a simple solution, but it works according to the users. If PIN login is not available, you can fix the problem with this simple trick:
- On the login screen, press the Tongue key on your keyboard.
- After doing that, you should see a password input field. Now click Login Options and enter your PIN.
This is a simple solution, and several users reported that it works, so feel free to give it a try. We have to mention that this is not a permanent solution, so you should use it every time you want to log into your PC.
I can't log into your Windows 10 pcs? Take a look at this simple guide to fix the problem in no time.
Solution 7 – Create a new administrator account
If PIN login is not available for your account, you may be able to fix the problem by creating a new administrator account. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- Open the Configuration app And go to Accounts section.
- Select Family and other people from the menu on the left. In the right pane, click Add someone else to this PC.
- Select I don't have this person's login information.
- Now click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired account name and click next.
After creating a new administrator account, switch to it and configure a PIN for it. We showed you how to set up a PIN code in one of our solutions above, so be sure to check it out for detailed instructions.
Once you set the PIN code for the new account, try accessing your old account to see if the PIN code works. According to users, after setting up a new administrator account, the problem was completely resolved, so feel free to try this solution.
Windows Won't it allow you to add a new user account? Follow some easy steps and create or add how many accounts you want!
Solution 8 – Modify your registration
According to users, if PIN login is not available, you can correct it by modifying your registration. To do that, just do the following:
- press Windows Key + R And enter regedit. press Get in or click OK.
- In the left pane, navigate to
- Now locate Limit DWORD and double click on it. If it is not available, you can create it by right-clicking in the right pane and selecting New> DWORD Value (32 bit). Now enter Thto hold back as the name of the new DWORD.
- Change the value data of the Limit DWORD to 0 and click OK to save changes
After making these changes, you just need to delete all the files from
directory. This could be a slightly advanced solution, but several users reported that it worked for them, so feel free to try it out.
If you can't edit your Windows Record 10, read this handy guide and find the quickest solutions to the problem.
Can't access Registry Editor? Things are not as scary as they seem. Please refer to this guide and resolve the issue quickly.
Solution 9 – Remove Dell Data Protection security tools
If you are using a Dell PC, you may experience problems with PIN login due to applications like Dell Data Protection Security Tools.
According to users, there are three different Dell Data Protection Security Tools, and to solve this problem, you must remove them in the correct order.
Once you remove those tools, you just have to delete your PIN and add it again, and the problem should be resolved. Please note that these applications may leave certain files even after deleting them.
To remove all the files and registry entries associated with it, we recommend using a suitable uninstaller.
There are many great applications to uninstall that can completely delete any application from your PC, and if you want to delete all the files related to Dell Data Protection Security Tools, we recommend that you use IOBit uninstaller (free) or Revo uninstaller.
Both applications are easy to use and can remove any application from your PC with ease.
Take a look at this article to find out how you can remove leftover software and clean your PC of any unwanted files.
Looking for the best uninstallers for Windows 10? Take a look at this list with our best picks.
Solution 10: Check if the CNG Key Isolation Service (KeyIso) is running
According to users, sometimes PIN login may not be available if CNG Key Isolation Service The service (KeyIso) is disabled. Windows Trust this service to login with PIN, and if this service is not running you will experience problems with login with PIN.
To fix the problem, you must enable this service by doing the following:
- press Windows Key + R And enter services.msc. Now press Get in or click OK.
- When the Services window opens, look for CNG key isolation service and double click on it.
- When the Properties window opens, make sure that Start type is not configured to Disabled. If so, change it to Handbook. Check if the service is running. If not, click on the Start button to start it. Now click Apply and OK to save changes
That's it, PIN login should now be working for your account.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below and we'll be sure to check them out.
Frequently Asked Questions: Learn more about Windows 10 login PIN
- Why is my PIN not available? Windows 10?
Usually due to a change in the TPM chip that altered the PIN that is recognized correctly. A system update could also complicate things with the authentication process.
- How do i get my Windows 10 pin?
You must reset your pin by doing the following:
- To go Start and open the Configurations App
- Click on Bill
- Choose Login Options
- Click I forgot my PIN and configure a new one.
- What is the default PIN for Windows 10?
The default PIN size is 4 digits. However, there is no real value because the user always sets the PIN explicitly.
- What is a Windows 10 Hi pin?
It is an alternative to the common password used to unlock your computer. It is a unique code for that device and does not work on other devices, even if the same Microsoft account is used.
From the editor Note: This post was originally published in November 2015 and has since been completely revamped and updated in April 2020 to provide freshness, precision and comprehensiveness.