- Having the opportunity to control your computer by voice seemed like a supernatural scenario a few years back. That is no longer the case.
- If you're having dictation issues in Office applications, let us tell you up front that there are several methods to fix them.
- Running the voice troubleshooter and inspecting the microphone drivers are often successful. However, you can choose to use a voice recorder like Adobe Audition for professional quality.
- Feel free to access our dedicated PC software Hub for more interesting articles
Using speech instead of writing has more than one advantage. Many users prefer dictation, and while it is still an unbrushed function, it is improving with the help of artificial intelligence technology.
Take Microsoft Office as an example. Once you get used to it, it is much easier to dictate your text to Word than to write it for some users.
Unfortunately, some users run into dictation issues since Oops, there was a dictation issue that popped up all of a sudden. There are several reasons for this fact and we make sure to try to fix it in the steps below.
How can I fix dictation problems in Office applications?
- Use a voice recorder instead: Adobe Audition
- Run the voice troubleshooter
- Inspect microphone drivers
- Office installation repair
- Reinstall Office
1. Use a voice recorder instead: Adobe Audition
Instead of having to deal with the message that says: Wow! There was a problem with dictation, using a voice recorder seems to be a better option to consider.
You should know early on that the industry's most powerful tool for digital audio editing can be easily mastered by even newbies.
Therefore, do not fear if you lack any previous experience. Adobe targets the music enthusiast audience with its impressive digital audio workstation tool, but its capabilities go far beyond the music field.
Note that you can easily switch between different sharp looking interface layouts. In addition, you can take the application through the Creative Cloud suite.
This means that you will have the opportunity to quickly manage all your Adobe products from one place, which sounds incredible if other Adobe applications are already part of your routine.
2. Run the voice troubleshooter
Let's start by removing your microphone as a possible instigator. The first step you can try is to use the built-in voice troubleshooter. This troubleshooter must run a series of tests to find out if your microphone is configured correctly or not.
It may not help you overcome the problem if drivers are at stake. That requires a manual approach.
Here's how to run the voice troubleshooter in Windows 10:
- press Windows key + I to open Configurations.
- Choose Update and security.
- Select Solve problems from the left panel.
- Expand the Speaks troubleshooter and click Run troubleshooter. <img class = "aligncenter size-full wp-image-301598″ alt=”speech problem solver” width=”720″ height=”480″ srcset=”https://applexgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1587826028_843_REVISION-¡Vaya-Hubo-un-problema-con-el-dictado-en-Office.png 720w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-2-300×200.png 300w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-2-315×210.png 315w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-2-120×80.png 120w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-2-140×93.png 140w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-2-340×227.png 340w” data-lazy-sizes=”(max-width: 720px) 100vw, 720px” src=”https://applexgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1587826028_843_REVISION-¡Vaya-Hubo-un-problema-con-el-dictado-en-Office.png”/>
3. Inspect the microphone drivers and permissions
The second important thing that we will need to inspect before moving on to Office related troubleshooting is the microphone driver. Most recording devices will work immediately as Windows The update will deal with drivers.
However, that is not always the case, so you will need to install them manually. To get started, let's reinstall the generic drivers and go from there:
- Right click on Start and open Device administrator.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs section. <img class = "aligncenter size-full wp-image-301600″ alt=”device manager audio inputs and outputs” width=”720″ height=”480″ srcset=”https://applexgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1587826028_93_REVISION-¡Vaya-Hubo-un-problema-con-el-dictado-en-Office.png 720w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-1-300×200.png 300w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-1-315×210.png 315w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-1-120×80.png 120w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-1-140×93.png 140w, https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Oops-there-was-a-problem-with-dictation-in-Office-1-340×227.png 340w” data-lazy-sizes=”(max-width: 720px) 100vw, 720px” src=”https://applexgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1587826028_93_REVISION-¡Vaya-Hubo-un-problema-con-el-dictado-en-Office.png”/>
- Right-click on your microphone (or microphones if you see multiple devices) and choose Uninstall device.
- Restart your PC and go back to Device administrator.
- Drivers should update automatically, but you can always update manually by right-clicking the microphone in the section mentioned above and installing the drivers.
Windows The update also tends to break drivers, so rolling back isn't exactly a bad idea. On the other hand, the best way to make sure is to purchase drivers from the OEM support website.
Once we have dealt with the drivers, let's check the permissions. Make sure Office has permission to access your microphone. You can do this by following these instructions:
- press Windows key + I to open the Configurations application
- Choose Privacy.
- Select Microphone from the left panel.
- Under the Choose which apps can access your microphonetoggle on Office.
4. Office installation repair
If the audio recording device is not a real problem, we can go to Office troubleshooting. The best way to solve each and every Office problem is to repair the installation.
This is a common solution and will not take too long. As many other cases showed, the 365 Office installation and its predecessors tend to get corrupted.
That is why we suggest navigating to the Control Panel and repairing the installation. Here we'll explain to you how to do it:
- At Windows Search bar, type Control and open Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a program.
- Right click on the office and click Repair.
5. Reinstall Office
Finally, if none of the above steps helped you solve the problem, we suggest that you do a clean reinstall. You can find the settings on the official Office website and simply download them.
But, beforehand, let's uninstall Office from your PC by following the steps in the previous solution. Instead of choosing Repair, select Uninstall from the context menu.
After that, just run the installer and log in with your credentials. After that, you should be able to use dictation in Office programs without any more trouble.
On the other hand, if you still can't do it, consider contacting official support and exposing your problem.
That said, we can conclude this article. In case you have any workaround or possibly one or two questions, be sure to post them in the comment section below. We will be happy to hear from you.
Frequently Asked Questions: Learn more about dictation in Office
- Make Windows 10 have dictation?
If it does. To start dictating, simply select a text field and press the Windows key + H keyboard shortcut to open the dictation toolbar.
- Why doesn't dictation work in Word?
With a little research, many users discovered that dictation does not work in Word due to faulty drivers and microphone permissions.
- Why doesn't dictation work on Mac?
Since first dictation doesn't work on Mac, check the microphone settings. You can also go to Dictation tab and disable this feature, then re-enable it for a new start.
From the editor Note: This post was originally published in February 2019 and has since been renewed and updated in April 2020 to provide freshness, precision and comprehensiveness.