SJCAM has unveiled a new line of action cameras called ION, which consists of three cameras: Carbon, Totem and Krypton. And today we will consider the most advanced camera – Krypton.
It is worth noting that these cameras are designed for offline sales and, most likely, will not be sold in online stores.
Comparison of the characteristics of the three cameras:
The weight of the camera corresponds to the declared:
SJCAM ION Krypton is made of plastic, the build quality is excellent. The camera is equipped with a 2.33-inch IPS touch Retina display with a good margin of brightness and viewing angles.
Comparison with SJCAM SJ8 Plus:
The camera has 2 microphones (front and side), so that the quality of the recorded sound at a height.
Below is a 1/4 "inch thread.
Under the plug is a USB Type-C connector.
The lens goes beyond the edge of the lens, but comes with a protective cap.
General information and features
- The camera menu is available in Russian, with a fairly competent and understandable translation.
- There is an option “FastBoot”, which allows you to turn on the camera by quickly pressing the power button (without clamping). Switching on takes 4 seconds.
- The brightness of the display can be adjusted.
- There is an option to automatically start recording video / photos immediately after turning on the camera. If both parameters are turned on, video / photo recording will depend on what mode will be after turning on the camera.
- There is a function to rotate the screen 180 °.
- You can enable / disable the display of ISO, WDR and shutter speed on the main display.
- There is an option to automatically turn off the camera (3, 5 or 10 minutes) and turn off the display (30 seconds, 1, 3 or 5 minutes).
- You can choose which default mode will be after turning on the camera.
- There is a sleep / lock mode that allows you to bring the camera to the "combat" position with a swipe across the screen.
Photo settings menu:
- The camera can be controlled both with the remote control and via WiFi via the SJCAM application.
- The camera can be used as a webcam, but at the time of writing the review, the microphone could not be used.
- The camera can work with an external power source connected (both with and without a battery).
- Viewing captured material is conveniently implemented: you can scroll through with a swipe and zoom in on a photo.
The camera has the following modes:
• video shooting mode;
• photo shooting mode;
• the mode of shooting photo-timelapses (3, 5, 10, 20 seconds or 5, 15 or 30 minutes), in addition to a large selection of the interval, we were also pleased with the ability to shoot photo-timelaps with a slow shutter speed and in RAW, you can also shoot timelaps with the distortion correction function ;
• video laps shooting mode (1, 2, 5, 10, 30 seconds or 1, 5, 15 or 30 minutes);
• slow motion mode 2 (1280×720, 240fps), 4 (1920×1080, 120fps) or 8 (2704×1520, 60fps) times, we already have slow-motion video (30fps) at the output;
• high-speed photography mode (3, 5 or 10 photos per second);
• video and photo shooting mode (photo is taken every 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds);
• DVR mode (only works when an external power source is connected, recording only does not start automatically when using battery power only).
• underwater video mode.
The maximum photo resolution is 12mp. You can shoot both in RAW and in JPEG (when shooting in RAW, it is also saved in JPEG).
Among the settings are available: slow shutter speed (1/30, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 or 30 seconds), a timer (3, 5 or 10 seconds), photo quality, sharpness, saturation, contrast, white balance, color effects, ISO (100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 or 3200), exposure, exposure mode, shooting in RAW, WDR (wide dynamic range), distortion correction and date / time stamp.
The camera shoots video in the following resolutions:
2.7K 30fps 4: 3
The weight of the video file lasting 1 minute 50 seconds, recorded in FullHD resolution (30fps) is 121mb (bit rate 9225 kb / s).
The weight of the video file lasting 2 minutes 25 seconds, recorded in 4K resolution (30fps) is 543mb (bitrate 30.3 Mb / s).
- You can shoot in one of two video codecs: H.264 or H.265.
- There is an option for looping video recording (3, 5 or 10 minutes each).
Among the settings available: codec selection, distortion correction (in all resolutions), viewing angle change (in all resolutions), gyro stabilization (in all resolutions except 1080 120fps and 720 240fps), loop recording (3, 5 or 10 minutes), WDR (wide dynamic range), microphone on / off, microphone sensitivity, time stamp, bit rate selection, ISO (auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 or 3200), sharpness, saturation, contrast, white balance, color effects (normal , b & b, retro, warm or cold), exposure and exposure metering mode.
- Gyroscopic stabilization is available in all resolutions except 1080 120fps and 720 240fps. Distortion correction is available in absolutely all resolutions, however it cannot be used simultaneously with gyroscopic stabilization.
- It is impossible to combine distortion correction / gyroscopic stabilization and changing the viewing angle. Also, gyroscopic stabilization and distortion correction cannot be combined.
Examples of video shooting and comparison with the SJCAM SJ8 Plus:
More video examples (including slow motion and timelapse) can be seen in the video review starting at 2:15:
If you need the original photo / video – let me know in the comments.
The camera comes with a 1200mAh battery, which is enough to record video in FullHD 60fps resolution with the display turned off for 100 minutes (11.5GB). The video writes in files for 30 minutes (3.56GB).
It takes about 3 hours to charge.
Summing up, we can say that ION Krypton is almost identical to the SJ8 Plus camera, except for the lack of a front display.
+ high-quality assembly and the presence of 1/4 "inch thread;
+ sensitive display with large viewing angles;
+ the presence of a protective cap on the lens in the kit;
+ high-quality sound recording thanks to two microphones;
+ RAW photography and video recording in H265 codec;
+ the ability to control using a remote control and via Wi-Fi;
+ thoughtful and convenient navigation, the ability to zoom images;
+ the ability to use as a webcam;
+ Many useful functions ("sleep" mode, quick start, FPV mode, default mode selection, display rotation by 180 °, etc.).
You can purchase an SJCAM camera here: